Thursday, May 2, 2013

Worth five minutes of your time

What I have to offer ...


"So you are here, and I am here, spending our time
as we must, it must be spent. I am trying not to
spend this time, as I spend most of my time, trying to
get you to like me; trying to control your thoughts, to
use my voodoo at the speed of light, the speed of
sound, the speed of thought, trying to convince you
that your two hours with me are not going to be
resented afterwards.

It is an ancient pattern of time usage for me, and
I’m trying to move deeper, hoping to be helpful. This
pattern of time usage paints over an ancient
wound, and paints it with bright colours. It’s a sleight
of hand, a distraction, so to attempt to change the
pattern let me expose the wound. I now step into
this area blindly, I do not know what the wound is, I
do know that it is old. I do know that it is a hole in my
being. I do know it is tender. I do believe that it is
unknowable, or at least unable to be articulable.
I do believe you have a wound too. I do believe it is
both specific to you and common to everyone. I do
believe it is the thing about you that must be hidden
and protected, it is the thing that must be tap
danced over five shows a day, it is the thing that
won’t be interesting to other people if revealed. It is
the thing that makes you weak and pathetic. It is
the thing that truly, truly, truly makes loving you
impossible. It is your secret, even from yourself. But it
is the thing that wants to live.

It is the thing from which your art, your painting, your
dance, your composition, your philosophical
treatise, your screenplay is born ...
The world is very scary now. It always has been. But
something grotesque and specific to our time is
blanketing us. We need to see that it is not reality; it
is a choice we are making or allowing other people
to make for us."

Read the full speech:

30 September 2011 at BFI Southbank

No comments:

Post a Comment