Thursday, May 16, 2013

Phone conversation with an eight-year-old

This is seriously the phone conversation I just had with my son, whom I called.

ME:  "Hi there. Um, you know how you told daddy that you were going to call Grandma and wish her a happy belated Mother's Day? And you said that since you have soccer Tuesday and Wednesday that you would do it Thursday?"

HIM:  "Yeah."

ME:  "And remember how I suggested you phone her last night since soccer practice was canceled because it was raining? And you said, 'I told dad I would call Thursday, and I will call Thursday?'"

HIM:  "Yeah"

ME:  "Well, it's Thursday."

(Silence ... )

ME:  "So, I know you want to go to Family Fitness Night at school at 6 p.m., which is an hour from now, so could you please call your grandmother now?"

HIM:  "Yes, OK, I will; I'll call dad and get the number."

ME:   "OK, good. Because if you don't call, dad thinks it's because of me and that it's my fault. If you don't call, I get in trouble. So will you please call?"

HIM:  "Got it.  I'm going to call him now."

ME:  "Thank you."

SERIOUSLY -- this conversation really took place. The eight-year-old comprehends more than the 40-something.

No matter that *I* bought a card for his grandmother and had the boy sign it, and I put it in the mail. Why doesn't his father think to do that? It's HIS mom for chrissakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment