Saturday, January 25, 2014

Passionate or "Spirited"

To say I'm a bit passionate about Ryder's sports would be a dramatic understatement. In fact, I'm *that* mom. And not everyone likes it, but it is who I am.

We had another basketball win today -- 18/6. Ryder isn't sure if he wants to repeat basketball; this is his first season playing, and he says he's not good. Which is ridiculous because he scored four points today. But he is hard on himself and only counts "points." The kid is so competitive, and I know where he gets it, and I understand him completely.

If he would also count the blocks he makes? Mostly because of his height (I think only one kid is taller than him on his team), and if he could see it from the bleachers and see what I see, he would know he IS good. But he just counts "points."

Anyway, it was a great game. This is the first time this group of boys have played basketball together, and they are undefeated. They're originally a rec soccer team and have been for about five years, but when they take on anything together (baseball, etc.), they just shine. It speaks volumes about these boys, their bond, the families who are extended family to us, and especially their coach. We are so blessed to have Coach J and the fathers who assist him (P and G). Every activity we participate in with these folks is such a feel-good experience.

And then we have soccer, which my son plays year-round -- in particular, I'm referring to academy soccer. We had an indoor game today, and while we were waiting for kick-off (is that the right term for the start of a futbal match?), I looked at our opponents, turned to my mother and said, "They might kill us." This is, again, before the match even began.

They were bigger and they were aggressive. Ryder played keeper the first half, and at half-time, it was nil/nil. I overheard one of R's mate's mother say about him, "He's the reason we're still even in this game." I was touched; it made my heart so happy. She was absolutely right because he stopped at least a half a dozen goals.

He played striker the second half, but he's with a mostly new group of boys, and they just weren't playing well as a team. A striker can't strike if mid-field doesn't deliver the ball. He tried so hard, and though the team wasn't collaborating well, several players were performing excellently. It's like they just couldn't "gel." I mean, strikers shouldn't be running the entire damn field to play defense, as well, but at one point in the game, that's exactly what he had to do.

Our coach was absent today, so a kind father filled in, but on the sidelines, I was *loud* (yes, me - no surprise). I was trying to coach from the sidelines (a no-no; I know). And I even made some grandmother of one of our mates angry. Sorry. This ain't golf, lady.

Our opponents scored two goals on us in the second half to win the match. With two minutes remaining in the game, one kid pushed Ryder, and he hit his bad knee (his arthritic knee) very hard on the wall. He cried, and that kid don't cry unless he's truly injured.

I couldn't stop myself from going to him when they pulled him off field. And I was so happy when he looked pleased to see me. Not only was his knee hurt, so were his feelings because the other team was so aggressive. And yes, like me, he was frustrated with his team not communicating.

I know they're nine and that this is supposed to be fun, but I left feeling so very angry, but also very proud of how well my boy did. And I know I'm biased, but -- we were missing three of our best players today, and we could have actually taken our opponents down, but that didn't happen.

It is what it is, I know. And though we lost, I think they'll get there. R is certainly learning the lesson about not always winning, and I know that's a good lesson, too.

What can I say? Sorry I'm loud. I have passion, and I believe my son can truly achieve anything. So forget the "sorry," blame it on the fact that I'm "spirited."

No comments:

Post a Comment