Thursday, October 24, 2013

Melancholy Me in Autumn

I’m not a fan of the cold. I hate being cold. So as we slip into the fall season, I've noticed personal wardrobe habits emerging. I recognize them from the previous year.

If you see me these days, I’m likely to be wearing:
JEANS. Skinny ones, with tall boots. The jeans may be of various color: navy, gray, denim. Note that I considered the colored denim more “dressy” than the regular denim.
SWEATERS: I like light ones, cabled ones, v-necks and mostly solid or muted colors. I go bland as the leaves fall.
TURTLENECKS: Only the comfortable ones made of cotton. I’m very particular about fabrics, and since I’m particular about temperature, certain fabric on cold skin just irks me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I have to be really motivated to wear tights. And they must be cotton and not nylon. I know they’ll feel fine later, after I've had them on for a while, but when I’m lying in my bed in the morning, warm and cozy, tights seem like a giant obstacle between me and work and the office and the rest of my day … and if I’m suffering from the “depreshion,” which is highly likely this time of year, I’m pretty much not allowed to even envision tights at all. Just put the jeans on and GET OUT OF THE DOOR.

So yes, bland sweaters and turtle necks and skinny jeans and boots.
I may wear my glasses more since they are the lazy alternative to seeing without wearing contacts, and since it’s more gray this time of year and I don’t worry about sunglasses as much.
Also, as discussed in another forum, glasses can be used as a tool, to hide weepy eyes, which are sometimes a side-effect of the “depreshion.”

Oh, and my hair. I do not like the feel of wet hair at all. And I have no patience to dry my hair, so mostly it’s in a bun … or a knot of some sort. Although, if I do take the time to blow it out, wearing my hair down keeps my head warm. I just don’t blow it out every week.

Sometimes I add color by wearing a scarf, but it’s not often. Sometimes I’ll change my ear rings, but that’s only if I’m highly motivated.

Other than that, I just try to get out of the door … show up … be seen … knock some work out, accomplish something at the house, take care of my kid.

This is the melancholy me in autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment