Monday, October 14, 2013

Back to counseling ...

The first time I pursued counseling was during my stint at college ("stint" makes it sound as if I didn't finish, but I did in fact graduate) ... and then I pursued it after college, early in my career ... and then I pursued counseling again after my divorce ... and then again ...

I've truly only had one good, official, counselor, and when my insurance changed in the early 2000s, I stopped seeing him, and it took me a while to go back.

It's hard to build rapport; it takes time ... and not all of my experience with counselors has been positive. There are inept counselors out there, no doubt.

But after weeks, months, of experiencing debilitating depression, particularly after this custody trial and the judge's ruling? I came to the realization this weekend that I have no choice but to give it another try. Oxygen mask? Yes, I'm there, struggling to put it on. I'm going through a grieving process, and I've lost a lot of weight and am having a hard time simply functioning. So I had no choice but to pursue advice from a counselor.

The good news is that I had my first session today, and it's with the counselor who is already aware of my court battle, the one both my son and I saw so that she could testify at the trial. I probably saved a few hours worth of time by selecting her since she's already in the know ... and additional good news? My health insurance covers my sessions, and the co-pay is minimal.

I have to try something, so, I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment