Thursday, October 24, 2013

Foster "No Name" gets name

So during his school holiday Monday, my son and my mom went with the rescue to a local shelter so that he could pick out our next foster.I suggested a medium-sized, female, and not a baby/puppy ... at least two years or older. And he called me to tell me he picked out a three-year-old male schnauzer mix. The rescue tagged the dog and the shelter scheduled him for vetting so that we could pick him up and bring him home Tuesday.

It usually takes several days for a new dog to adjust and come out of its shell, so I'm feeling him out before writing his bio for posting on the rescue site. At first he seemed uninterested in people, but interested in our own dogs and not at all aggressive -- actually quite submissive. He is coming around and has figured out we aren't so bad since we feed him, give him affection, brush him, etc. He likes his crate a lot and goes to it on his own with the door open. He's starting to act more interested in us, and his playful side is starting to show. He is eating the dog food OK. He does not like raw carrots like my own two do, but he does enjoy boiled potatoes, which I hide his pain pill in to administer it while his stitches are healing.

He's very stinky right now but cannot have a bath until the stitches heal, so we used foam shampoo, and it has helped. My son originally thought he would call him Butterfinger. But then I kept calling him Butterfingers, and my son thought that had a negative connotation, like it made the dog sound clumsy, so we kept trying to think of a good name, as he allows us to get to know his personality.

I liked the name Mopsy because of his cute floppy ears, but my son said no to that one ... someone suggested Toto, saying he reminded her of the dog from The Wizard of Oz. Mom liked the name Bruno (My son says it's because she likes Bruno Mars, and Mom said he could name him after soccer player Bruno Guarda). So after much deliberation, it appears we will call him Cocoa. Cocoa Bean. (We tend to provide middle names for our fosters because we're silly that way.)

He does now seem to be responding to Cocoa, and he's doing well ... I've not yet even heard him bark. I have no doubt that once we have some time with him and work with him (and clean him up) that he is going to make an excellent companion for the right family. Cocoa is our sixth foster this year, which is when we started. I'm really pleased with that number and knowing we're making a difference for these furry fellas, while teaching my son about caring for animals and the importance of philanthropy.

No comments:

Post a Comment