Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Let's talk about me: An exercise in total random posting

The subject line is a warning. Maybe you can follow ...

So it's Wednesday, "Hump Day," of the first week of back-to-school, and I am exhausted.

Not only is work super busy, I somehow managed to register late for my son's after-school program, which requires 48-hours after registration to pass in order for him to resume attendance, so I had to ask my mom to pick him up yesterday, which is not her day to pick up from school. But being the good Nan she is, she covered for me.

If work wasn't so busy, I figured I'd just pick him up myself and then work from home ... but I had meetings ... so yeah.

And in addition to "Meet the Teacher" Friday, we had third-grade parent orientation last night ... which I hadn't entirely planned for either.

And the soccer season is in full effect with practices, which didn't seem so difficult to manage before the school year started.

And then there's our foster dog, Posey, who has a meet and greet this Saturday with a potential adoptive family who lives about an hour away.

We'll adjust; I'll adjust ... I just didn't expect this first week to throw me for such a loop. I didn't expect to be so exhausted three days in.

And on top of it all, the approaching court date is constantly in the back of mind, which isn't helping me focus on things that require a bit more focus ... like LIFE, for example.

I've been going to yoga like crazy, as often as I can; I've been trying to ignore the court situation until it gets a little closer. I've been trying to be all "business as usual." I guess it's just one of those unexpected obstacles that life throws everyone now and again. But really, life? I could use a reprieve.

With summer break over, I took some time to reflect and to give myself a bit of a mid-year evaluation. I've learned that even though I'm in my mid (um, late) 30s, I'm still learning about myself ... who I am. Why haven't I figured that one out yet?

Text-swapping with a friend today, I wrote a bit about what I've learned about myself so far this year:

"Mostly, I am partially self-diagnosing myself as having GAD (confirmed via physician), extreme low-self esteem, and just some 'issues' in general [I doubt I differ from many on the latter]. I'm a perfectionist and all-or-nothing in just about every area of life.

I struggle to cope with life stressors ... [and realize] I am likely addicted to Diet Coke and cigarettes, though nothing else ...

I am also a borderline hypochondriac and can convince myself LOTS of things are wrong with me ... Am I socially awkward? Yes, at times ... and that's just me. And I likely have some sort of mood disorder (or it's just that I am female). This is what I learned this summer ...

This thread is a blog. Almost. But it's [almost] too honest."

His response(s):

"I like that your willpower is still stronger than the stress in your life; I agree that's kind of a significant fact. As I've always said - your patterns are coping mechanisms, and most of them emerged at random. Yoga is purposeful and healthy. More like that could replace the unhealthy ones."

"It's important for you to put these thoughts in print, even just to me. Print makes things real for you. Seeing outside of your head."

"As for hypo, you are generally anxious - you 'what if' yourself into scenarios that are amazingly unlikely. Then you think about what you should do - even though none of that shit is ever gonna happen. Busy head. But special nonetheless."

And then we moved on to current events like Syria ... and (unfortunately) Miley Cyrus.

Regarding Cyrus, I wrote:

"I've not even seen the Miley Cyrus performance the media is freaking over." [I've unintentionally heard more about her VMA performance than I have about foreign relations (maybe I follow the WRONG media?).]

And although I couldn't care less, really, about this gal's public displays, and I don't like to say negative things about people -- particularly those whom I don't even know -- well my bestie, he texted a three-sentence statement that is the funniest thing I've read about former Hannah Montana. He wrote:

"Mullets breed true."

So busy head and all, at the end of the day, I realize I have a best friend with whom I can share my introspective thoughts and can count on to remind me of my good qualities, and who -- equally as important -- usually succeeds at making me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment