Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I get a pass

So I have wireless access while I sit in the waiting room, drinking my "Mochaccino Smoothie," also known as barium sulfate suspension, which I've been tasked to consume over the next hour, prior to my CT scan.

Starbucks, it ain't, regardless of wi-fi access.

I've suddenly never wanted a quarter-pounder with cheese more in my entire life.

I made it downtown on time. Well, maybe I'm fudging five minutes, but that's on time in my book ... despite rush-hour traffic ... or my gas light coming ON. Twenty five miles remain in my tank, says the dash. I hope that gets me home because ...

I get to my appointment only to realize I've left my small purse, containing ... my ID, my insurance card, my usual credit cards ... yeah, it's at home, in the bag I took with me to soccer practice last night.

Luckily I have another ID ... and a checkbook! Which is unfortunately quite important. Not only is this appointment inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it's also expensive, even with my insurance (fortunately they already had all the details regarding my coverage).

Today? I get a pass. Today I'm talking about my CT scan experience MORE than I'm talking about my BLESSINGS. If you don't like it, you can stop reading now. I'd like to spin this as "living in the moment," which is positive right? Aw hell, I said I get a PASS already.

Thankfully, a very humorous older gentleman joined me about half-way through my Mochaccino (making it a PARTY!). He has his own barium sulfate cocktail to consume, and his is berry flavored. The? There's more than one flavor? And why didn't they notify us or give us an option to choose? The menu here SUCKS. But wasn't it nice of them to arrive early this morning so that they could sit here with us as we consume our beverages and kill an hour?

I just finished my cocktail, and I don't even have a buzz.

My companion has stopped making jokes and is busy reading a magazine. I think I'm 10 minutes from starting this whole scan process.

If I ever have to do this again, I prefer afternoon. Because after this scan, I get to go to mammography, and then, after that? I get to go to work ... after I get fuel. Will the joys of this day ever cease?

Repeat to self:
I'll be on the beach in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment